The library at the Museum of East Bohemia can trace its history back to 1880, when the museum was founded. Several members of the Pardubice Museum Association donated printed materials – mostly valuable old prints – to the newly formed museum. The modern library’s stocks consist partly of books and documents for use by the public, and partly of valuable historical items (this historical collection is listed in the Czech Republic’s centralized register of museum collections).
The library specializes in the East Bohemia region, with a particular focus on social and natural sciences. It is a valuable resource for researchers – particularly the ‘Pardubice Pantheon’ sub-collection (including publications on regional topics) and the sub-collections of pedagogical literature, calendars, and items from private libraries.
Since 2018 the library has contributed data to the Union Catalogue of the Czech Republic, so its stocks are gradually being published at the website www.caslin.cz. A library catalogue is also available on the museum’s own website. The library is open to visitors.